Saturday, May 15, 2010

Run to the Border- 2010

What a day!
This morning I woke up, ready to go out in service. I was lying on the couch, eating yogurt, when my Mom brought up the fact that Nita was riding her bike down to Peteros with Kelley and Shelby for the Run to the Border- 2010 event. I mentioned that Shelby had told me about that and that it sounded fun. So my mom texted Nita, and minutes later she told me I was going on a motorcycle ride.
Excited, I rushed into my room and put on long pants and a t-shirt, just like Mom had suggested. Nita showed up at 9:30 with a leather vest, coat, and chaps. I felt kind of silly wearing the chaps, but I didn't mention it to Nita.
We drove to Nita's house and saw Kelley and Shelby already there, laughing at Joel as he did some weird, un-human dance. After about fifteen minutes of teasing from Joel about the foam cushion Nita said I could use as a seat, Nita stuffed the yellow padding into some sort of black felt bag so that it looked less obvious.
"There" she said. "Now people won't make fun of you for your foam butt.
"Ha ha.." Joel giggled girlishly. "Foam butt. Foam butt."
I just rolled my eyes. What a loser.
We rode all the way down to Peteros. I looked back and forth. It was interesting to see all the stuff I had missed when I just rode in our big blue van. It doesn't seem like it would make much of a difference.. but It really does.
When we got to Peteros, my eyes bogged out of my head. Rows and rows of shiny bikes gleamed and glistened before my eyes. The area was thick with bikers. Suddenly I didn't feel so stupid in the chaps. I felt proud,like I would be weird without them. Nita got me a Diet Coke and slice of Pizza and we walked around for a couple minutes. I saw lots of people. At around 11:45 everyone started pouring into the road. Police cars had to stop other automobiles from getting in our way. I felt bad for them... sorta. I also sort of felt like a celebrity because everyone was waving and smiling at us, and if I waved back their face would light up and the would turn to their friends as if to say 'did you see that?'
We made it to Oroville and I felt like my butt was going to fall off it hurt so bad. I felt bad for poor Shelby, who didn't even have a foam cushion. We ate lunch at Fat Boys (jalapeno poppers and a Shirley Temple) and then I got taken back to my house. It was a fabulous day.
Thanks for reading.

Chey ♥

No comments: