Thursday, July 14, 2011

An Inspired Change

Well, the adventure began.
Today at 7:30 a.m. (a truly ungodly hour, you must imagine), the Raineys dragged ourselves out of deep slumber and loaded our packed duffels into the Suburban to embark on a not-so-perilous 218 mile journey to Kenniwick WA. I for one was filled with the kind of anticipation that precedes every special occasion; and you could definitely say this three-day assembly is important. Especially in my case.
We caravaned with a number of families; including the Kammeyers, the Dickeys and of course Paula & Raine (who dutifully transported Grandma Rainey). We stopped briefly at around 11:30 for a Safeway meal, and then gunned it to the Tri-Cities where the real fun began!
That is, of course, if you and I share the same definition of fun. Which is going to Barnes & Nobles to sip a caramel frappacino while you scan the selection in the Teen Fiction section.
Ever since I fully decided that I was going to write teen fiction, I've been doing my homework by reading the 'classics', so-to-speak. Or, at least the ones I consider to be classic. By the time I finished my drink and had sucked every bit of whipped cream out of the cup, I was troubled by having to decide between two choices- 'I'm Not Her' and 'The Black Sheep'. They both looked good for different reasons. 'I'm Not Her' looked moving and heartbreaking, but 'The Black Sheep' struck me as the type of read that would have me laughing out loud. In the end, I caved and bought the latter, succumbing to my weakness for anything that will make me giggle. And boy, am I glad I did.
The Black Sheep by Yvonne Collins and Sandy Rideout was interesting from page one. I haven't finished yet, (I'm on page 207). The main character is Kendra Bishop, daughter of two workaholic bankers who make Kendra's life a living rule book. She writes to the work-in-progress TV show The Black Sheep (which is much like WifeSwap, where you switch families with the other contestant), begging to get away from it all but never expects it when they end up at her door a month later!
So now she has to switch lives with Maya Mulligan and her family of earth-loving 'freaks'. At first arrival, Kendra is less than happy. Only, maybe things aren't so bad. Because then she grows attatched to the family and their passion for saving sea otters. She meets Mitch and soon finds herself growing more and more attached to him.
You know, reading this book made me think about the things I can do to help animals. I sat and thought, What can I do personally to make statement? So after thinking about it I'm pretty sure I want to become a vegetarian.
I'm not completely sure, and I want to make sure and fully think it through to avoid a brash decision. Still, I'm fairly certain this is something I want to do. And I don't know if it will be for a month, or a year, or even my entire life. But either way, I will commit to it and I will give it my all, just like the Mulligans do in The Black Sheep. I want to become a Black Sheep, just like Kendra does.

For now, this is your favorite author signing off.

Chey :)

No comments: