Tuesday, January 17, 2012

5 Things That Do Not Make You a Tomboy

Being the only girl= blessing. Major blessing. You might think it would  be utterly horrifying at times... like when I have to clean the bathroom (which I probably should be doing right now), but the honest truth is that I wouldn't have it any other way.

Translate: I am so, so, so glad that I can at least have some minor grasp of understanding how dudes work. 


I feel for my friends. I really do. For one, we're all home-schooled, and that sets us back about ten notches in social life already. Two, its a small town, so take away about five more notches; and three: I am the only one who has interaction with the opposite sex on a regular day-to-day basis. Not counting dads.
What irks me- really irks me- is how much I see girls trying to act like they're pure blood "tomboys" lately. Not just my boy-starved (did I really just say that?) friends, either. Really, what's so wrong with being a little girly sometimes? In fact, there's nothing wrong with being a little of both. But don't try and say that you "never act like a chick", because that just makes me want to scream.
  Today I'm going to clear up a few popular myths about the "Guy's Girl".

1. Adding a "favorite sport" or "favorite athlete" to your Facebook profile.

Seriously, guys? There are lots of girls who like sports. Saying that the New England Patriots are "sooooo keeewwlll" does not qualify you as a tomboy. The same principle goes for saying that you like football. Sitting on the bleachers and cheering on the boys in jerseys does not change the fact that you are a girl sometimes. Unless you can prove your lack of femininity  by getting out there and throwing a clean spiral. In that case, I commend you.

2. "Oh, I get along with guys better than girls. All my friends are guys*."


I hear this all the time. 99.99999% of the time, ^that is total bull crap. As for the other .000001%, you speak for yourself. As far as I'm concerned, a girl will always feel a little more comfortable with her girlfriends  than with guy friends. Its not bad- its just nature. Besides, even if it were true... it makes you a flirt, not a tomboy.

*One of my friends actually told me this was the real, legit reason why they are full-on tomboys. 

3. "I can play video games. Therefore I am a tomboy."


Playing MarioKart does not make you a gamer. End of story.

4. "I hate shopping."


Possibly one of the lamest reasons ever. Being a woman (and this is not any sort of feminist rant, or anything),  being a woman does not automatically mean you like shopping and clothes. There are a lot of girls out there who aren't "tomboys", and they don't enjoy spending 2 hours at Macy's for a shoe sale. Even more to the point, I know of at least 3 of my guy friends who actually do enjoy shopping occasionally. Saying that shopping is a gender-defining activity has to be one of the most annoying pet peeves of mine.

5. Taking a picture of yourself with a jersey team sweatshirt on.


Oh myyy goodd. Every time a girl titles one of those pictures with "Hee hee... just me being a tomboy", a baby seal is poached.

When I say this stuff, I am in no way implying that girls who do this stuff aren't somewhat tomboyish. I just think that girls who do this stuff and then deny being girly at times are total liars. Every girl will act girly, and tomboyish in their life. Urgh... no further comments.

3 comments:

Marizona said...

You know what? I AGREE WITH YOU SO WHOLEHEARTEDLY IT SCARES ME. Everything about this, I nodded my head and said "YEAH!!!" I'm on figment, by the way, I wrote Shouting the Truth. And also. The homeschooling setting us 10 notches down- I couldn't agree more. We are so antisocial. Haha.

Cheyla said...

Haha, thanks for the comment! I know! Some chicks just annoy the H-E- double hockey sticks outta me.
And the loneliness of homeschooling gets to us all sometimes.

Cheyla said...

Also, I really liked your story!