Monday, January 9, 2012

Jump-Starting the Year

With every new year comes change, but sometimes it's more drastic one year from the next. 2012 is bringing in more new challenges this first week than 2011 did in six months for me. In a span of 9 days I got registered for 3 races, and I became a vegan.

Talk about jump starting the year!

So-o-o, I can say for a certainty that I'm nervous... very nervous. I already committed to doing the mud run this June, with my fitness-obsessed Aunt Chanelle and my friend Akela. Because they live 5 hours away, our collaborating on training will have to be Skyped. Knowing that it's up to me to make sure I train and build muscle and endurance is a little intimidating, especially since that's not the only thing on my plate.

Mom and I plan on running the Seattle Rock & Roll Half Marathon (13 miles, in case you didn't know). Luckily we made a pact to go to the gym as much as possible and train with each other. She already has a master regimen planned out-- but then again, there's my mother for you!

Then- as if those two things aren't scary enough- I'm also running a full marathon this October, in Portland!

3 races. 3 grueling fitness challenges that will test my body to it limit. When I pull through- as I'm sure I will- I will only have my training partners to thank. And that stubborn disposition of mine... What's it called... ambition?

As regards to my newly-vegan status- that actually just started today. Last July I pledged to a month of vegetarianism, and I powered through that with little or no trouble. It surprised me how easy it was to drop extra weight by cutting out meat. This time, I've taken a step up by cutting out all animal products- and for 100 days!

Many friends and family- not just me- have decided to do this 100-day challenge. Sky and Dakota have both decided to completely raw vegan as well- only fruits, veggies, and nuts- and my Mom will be doing another juice fast like the one she just completed in November.

It's inspiring to me that so many people are really stepping it up to start 2012 off the right way. By the time 2013 shows up, I want zero regrets. I want to be able to say with confidence that I did all I could this year. And then I can set more goals for the ones to follow.

I'm going to rock my year.

So my question is this... can you?

No comments: